Monday, October 22, 2012

Tinkerbell Tea Party




Recently my oldest child turned five years old.  My daughter is somewhat of a girlie girl but she loves bugs. So one of the first things I do when starting to plan an event is to have a theme.    I began thinking of her favorite things and do research on what themes I could do that well along with her likes.  After much research, I decided on Tinkerbell after watching the cartoon movie about her and seeing all the animals and bugs  present in it.  So I have my theme and I am ready to finish planning.  Some would say that I go WAY TO OVER BOARD, but this is my outlet of my creativeness in giving my children birthday parties that are special to them.  


The Decorations

I took my cue from the piñata pictured above. My colors were purple, green and yellow.  I purchased that I found at BIG LOTS.  But there are ones available from Party City or Birthday Express.

 

Other Decorations I brought from Oriental Trading and the Dollar Store.




 The Food

This is the part of the event where it has been said I go a little crazy.  What can I say I like everything to go along with the theme.  Because it was a Tea Party- we needed to have little sandwiches, fruit, and other tasty finger foods.  I decided to go with PB and J Blossoms, Ladybugs on a Leaf, Ants on a Log, Snail Snacks, Worms and Jello Bugs.  Most of these ideas I found on the Disney Family Fun Magazine Website.

The Full Spread




PB and J Blossoms


Labybugs on a Leaf


 Ants on a Log

Eat your Worms



Jello Bugs


 I was able to make these Jello bugs from a silicon mold I found on Oriental Trading.



 The Guests 

For each guest that came to the tea party, I had fairy wings, tiara, light up wand and a skirt except for my son who was Captain Hook. I purchased most of these items at the dollar store and some at Walmart.


My son - Captain Hook

The Birthday Girl Fairy

  The Cake


For me, I try to make this a center piece, the grand event of presenting the cake and blowing out the candles. But having a normal looking cake is a project in itself.  My children and I follow a Gluten Free lifestyle. After going on a Allergy Diet about 11years ago and finding out the wheat was the reason to some of the health issues I was having.  This journey has had its ups and downs but that is another post for the future. With that said, I decided to give my daughter a two tier Tinkerbell cake.



I baked two cakes different rounds with one of my favorite Gluten Free Cake mix, Bob's Red Mill Vanilla Cake Mix.  After baking, I decided to fill it (like the professionals). I filled it with strawberry pudding which actually turned out ok for the first time doing something like that.  The cake topper I actually found at Goodwill and scrubbed it up.  The cake decorations, the green ribbon and the flowers are edible images purchased from Oriental Trading, The bugs were pre-made and brought from Hobby Lobby.  

I hope by reading this blog that I have inspired some creative thoughts for your next event.







No comments:

Post a Comment